I am new to the mining industry. What training do I need to complete to get started?

If you have never previously had MSHA training before, you will need to take New Miner Training (NMT). The type of operation you will work at will determine if you need the 24 hour NMT or 40 hour NMT.

24 Hour New Miner: Training provides 24 hours of introductory training including New Miner topics and First Aid/CPR certification. Training prepares individuals to work at an above ground metal/non-metal mine operation.

40 Hour New Miner: Training provides 32 hours of introductory training to prepare individuals to work at an underground mine operation. Topics include introductory New Miner, 8 hours of onsite underground training and a First Aid/CPR certification.

Does my administrative staff need New Miner Training?

They are not required to receive New Miner or Annual Refresher Training; however they should receive appropriate site-specific hazard awareness training for their job. Employees who only work in the scale house and are not engaged in mining operations, are not considered miners under 30 CFR Part 46.

I received New Miner Training a few years ago and would now like to return to the mining industry. Do I need to re-take this training?

If it has been three (3) or more years since your last New Miner Training you will need to take this course again. If you completed a New Miner Training less than three (3) years ago, you are eligible to take an 8-hour Experienced Miner Training.

When will my Annual Refresher Training expire?

Training will expire one year from the last day of the month the training was obtained. Example: Training date 01- 25-16; Expiration date will be: 01-31-17.

I would like to enroll in New Miner Training; however I am already First Aid/CPR certified. Do I have to stay for the First Aid/CPR portion?

If you can provide proof of a valid First Aid/CPR certification card verifying that you are currently certified you may omit the four-hour training component. We must receive a copy of your card for our files to be able to use your current training towards your New Miner Training.

How do I become a certified MSHA instructor?

You will need to take the MSHA Part 48 Instructor Training Course. Review course prerequisites and qualifications for becoming an MSHA Approved Instructor. Please note that the MSHA instructor certification is only offered by MSHA State Grants programs and MSHA’s Educational Field Services Office.

Mine Operations

Which operations are covered under Part 46?

Shell dredging, sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, and surface limestone mines. (46.1)

Do instructors have to be MSHA approved?

No. Part 46 training only requires a competent person. What is a competent person? Person designated by operator who has the ability, training, knowledge, or experience to provide training to miners in his or her area of expertise. Competent person must be able to both effectively communicate the training subject to miners and to evaluate whether the training given to miners is effective. (46.2 (b))

Which operations are covered under Part 48?

Subpart A: underground mines
Subpart B: surface mines and surface areas of underground mines (48.1)

Do instructors have to be MSHA approved?

Yes. Instructors shall be approved by the MSHA District Manager. Various ways of approval are included in 30 CFR 48.3 (h). (48.3 (h))

Independent Contractors

I need to perform construction/contractor services at a mine. Do I need MSHA training?

Yes. Anyone who is expecting to work at a mine, regardless of the type of work performed, is required to receive MSHA New Miner Training.

Training Plans

Do I need a training plan?

Mine owners and operators are required by MSHA to have a training plan, and in some cases, independent contractors must develop their own training plan.

Which training plan is right for me?

Part 46

Surface nonmetal mines that are designated as shell dredging, sand, gravel, surface stone, surface clay, colloidal phosphate, and surface limestone mines are required to have a Part 46 training plan. Other types can include operations that produce marble, granite, sandstone, slate, shale, traprock, kaolin, cement, feldspar, and lime.

Is MSHA approval required for a Part 46 training plan?

No. Training plan does not have to be officially submitted for approval; however, training plan must include the minimum requirements as stated in 30 CFR 46.3 (b). (46.3)

Part 48

All coal mines, all underground metal and nonmetal mines, and other surface metal and nonmetal mines (not included under Part 46) are required to have a Part 48 plan. (48.3(a))

Is MSHA approval required for a Part 48 training plan?

Yes. The training plan should be filed with the District Manager’s Office for the area in which the mine is located. (48.23 (b)

How do I obtain a MSHA training plan?

Visit MSHA’s website and follow the training plan advisor to complete your plan. Click on the “Begin now” tab at the bottom of the page to get started.

MSHA Identification Numbers

Where can I request a MSHA Mine ID?

Mine identification numbers may be requested by completing online Form 7000-51 or by contacting your local district office. Visit MSHA’s website to file online. Click on “file online” to apply for your ID. Please note that all mine operations are required to apply for a MSHA mine identification number. An MSHA ID is required for each mine site and must be issued before any operations begin.

Where can I request a MSHA Contractor ID?

Contractor identification numbers can be requested online by completing the Form 7000-52. Visit MSHA’s website to file online. Click on “file online” to apply for your ID. Please note that you cannot file for a training plan without a contractor ID.

MSHA frequently asked questions was created by The University of Texas at Austin Health and Safety Training Center. Resources include: Mine Safety and Health Administration website ( and the Federal Metal and Nonmetal Mine Safety, Health and Training Regulations handbook 30 CFR 46/47/48, 30 CFR 56/57/58 and 30 CFR 62 Thirteenth Edition.